We all know how much a building’s flooring affects its beauty. Nowadays, people are paying a lot of attention to flooring choices.
In a developing country like India, there is always demand for flooring work. If you are interested in this flooring work, you can start your own business by starting a flooring installation business.
In this article, we will provide you with all the information you need to start a flooring business in India. This information includes all the information you need, such as the investment required for the business, different types of flooring, marketing, registration, etc.
Before starting a Flooring Business
The flooring business is the business of installing flooring materials in buildings, such as tiles, hardwood, and vinyl.
In the past, it was relatively easy to start a flooring installation business with even a basic understanding of flooring work. However, times have changed. People are now very particular about the flooring work in their homes and businesses.
Only if you are an expert in this work can you be successful in this business. In recent years, competition has also increased, so you need to build trust and expertise in your work to stand out.
Therefore, before starting this business, you need to have a complete knowledge of these works. You can only learn installation work if you have worked in the flooring business elsewhere. If you start the business by relying only on your workers, it is difficult to succeed.
How to Start a Flooring Business
There are many types of flooring materials in use in India, and you should be an expert in one type of material. For example, vinyl flooring.
In recent years, there has been a high demand for premium and modern-style flooring, and since there are fewer installers who are experts in this, there is a high demand for such flooring work.
To get new jobs, you need to have a good relationship with building contractors in your location. You can partner with them and take on jobs as a sub-contractor for flooring work. If you provide excellent service, it will help you to work with them for a long time.
In addition to under-construction jobs, you can also take on renovation, flooring maintenance, and replacement work. However, since these jobs are rare, it is best to focus on new jobs.
In this work, quality of work and timely completion are very important. In addition, you need to be updated on the latest flooring design trends.
You should have at least 1-2 skilled people in your team. The total number of workers you need will depend on the scale of your business.
Capital required for a flooring business
In India, you can start a flooring business with a minimum capital of Rs. 4 lakhs. The exact capital required will depend on the type of flooring installation work you do.
The following are the main expenses involved in starting a flooring business:
- Machines and equipment: The type of machines and equipment you need will depend on the type of flooring you install. Generally, flooring installation work requires tools such as floor scrapers, floor rollers, floor cutters, sanders, travels, and tapping blocks.
- Licenses and registration: This can cost up to Rs. 20,000.
- Vehicle for machine and labour transportation: You can also start with a used vehicle.
- Shop security deposit: (Only if your business has a physical location)
- Marketing expenses: For marketing activities such as photoshoots of your completed work, business cards, signage boards, pamphlets, etc.
- Flooring materials for installation: Generally, the client purchases the flooring materials, so you do not need to pay for them in advance.
Also Read: How to start a Tiles Shop Business in India?
Ongoing expenses include worker wages, transportation charges, machine maintenance work, shop rent (if required), etc.
If you are an expert in premium or high-end flooring such as hardwood, marble, and laminate flooring, you can earn higher profits. There is currently less competition and higher demand for premium flooring work.
If you partner with a good tile dealer, you can earn a commission from your tile purchases. If you regularly bring your clients to the same tile dealer, it is natural that you can ask the dealer for a commission.
Licences and Registrations
To start a flooring installation business in India, you will need the following documents:
- Business registration: Sole proprietorship/LLP/Pvt Lmt.
- GST registration: This is required if annual turnover is more than ₹20 lakh.
- Shop and Establishment Act license: This is required if your business has a physical location or office.
If you are operating your business on a large scale, you may also need other documents such as an EPF, ESI, and fire safety certificate.
The requirements for these documents may vary from one state to another. You can consult with a chartered accountant near you to get the exact information.
How to market this Business
The main tool to market a flooring business is to have a portfolio of high-quality images of projects you have completed. This should be available in both hard copy and soft copy.
You can show these photos to your clients to prove that you have the skills and experience for the job.
In addition, having a collection or palette of different flooring designs will be helpful for customers to choose from. You can also offer them customized designs.
Other ways to get more projects include building good relationships with local contractors, completing projects on time, and doing high-quality work.
You can also promote your business on social media and Google Maps. Always be up-to-date on the latest flooring design trends. For example, checkerboard designs, patterned wood, and basket weave patterns are trending right now.
Types of flooring and installation charges
In India, the following flooring materials are commonly used. The name and approximate installation charge (not material price) per square foot are given below:
- Vitrified tile flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 120 to 200.
- Marble flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 130 to 240.
- Granite flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 70 to 130.
- Hardwood flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 120 to 200.
- Vinyl flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 25 to 40.
- Laminate flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 30 to 50.
- Bamboo flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 60 to 90.
- Linoleum flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 50 to 80.
- Terrazzo flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 80 to 130.
- Natural stone flooring – Approx. installation charges Rs. 70 to 130.
This is about starting a flooring business in India. If you find this information useful, please share it with your friends and circle.